About Westboro Village BIA
The Westboro Village Business Improvement Area (BIA) is a designated area of businesses that exists along Richmond Rd (between Golden and Island Park), Danforth, and McRae Avenue consisting of business members who have joined together, with official approval of the City. Together we share the goal of creating and sustaining the thriving and vibrant shopping district that makes up Westboro Village!
The Westboro Village BIA is funded by municipal property taxes (levy) from each commercial property within our boundary. We work with the municipal government, property owners and local organizations to help facilitate necessary changes and provide a collective voice in support of improving the area.
THE PURPOSE OF THE BIA
- To promote Westboro Village and the businesses within the catchment
- To encourage business recruitment
- To help improve & beautify Westboro Village
- To be a positive, unified voice representing Westboro
- To work with partners to help improve the social well-being of the community
WHAT DOES THE BIA DO?
Marketing | Street Beautification | Events | Advocacy
- We act as a liaison between the business community and the local government
- We advocate on behalf of the interests of the businesses in our catchment
- We work closely with commercial property owners to help fill unoccupied space and to ensure an optimum business mix is achieved
- Implement creative marketing campaigns to retain and expand the customer base
- Promote Westboro Village as a business and shopping area
- Provide streetscape improvements (lighting, signage, planters, banners, graffiti removal, and sidewalk treatments, as well as holiday decorations)
- Organize special events highlighting the unique attributes of the area
- Undertake strategic planning necessary to address business improvement area issues
The members of the Westboro Village BIA consist of both property owners in an improvement area, and their tenants.
Membership in the BIA generally includes attendance at BIA meetings, including the annual meeting , and eligibility to vote on BIA-related issues such as the annual budget and selections to the board of management.
To the right, you can see the catchment area of the Westboro Village BIA. Businesses who fall within the boundaries shown below make up our BIA.
BOARD OF MANAGEMENT
The administration and management of the Westboro Village Business Improvement Area is the responsibility of the board of management (BoM).
In particular, the BoM is typically responsible for overseeing the planning, budgeting, implementing and evaluating of BIA projects.
Our Board of Management usually consists of between five and ten members. The city designates a local councillor who represents Kitchissippi Ward, while the rest of the board is selected through a vote by the BIA membership subject to their approval by council.
For the term 2019-2022, the Westboro Village BIA Board of Management directors:
Chair, Molly Van der Schee
Vice-Chair, Darren Prashad
Treasurer, Alan Whitten
Secretary, Judy Lincoln (non-voting)
Appointed City Councillor, Jeff Leiper, Kitchissippi Ward
Director, Sheba Schmidt
Director, Richard Bown
Director, Steve Harding
Director, Rick Eisert
DUTIES OF THE BOM
- The Chairman shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Westboro BIA and shall preside over all meeting as Chairman of the Board. The Chairman shall call the annual meeting and all general meetings, and special meetings as the need arises.
- The Vice Chairman shall exercise the duties of the Chairman in the Chairman’s absence. If both the Chairman and Vice Chairman are unable to attend the Board meeting, a presiding officer shall be decided upon by those present, providing there is a quorum.
- The Secretary/Office Administrator shall record all facts and minutes of all proceedings and shall give all notices required to be given to members and shall be custodian of the records, correspondence, contracts and other documents belonging to the Board.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for the administration of the finances of the Board.
- The Board shall hold regular monthly meetings which shall be open to all members. If any Board member is absent for three (3) or more meetings without just cause, the Board may vote to determine whether or not to request the member to resign.
- The Board shall determine the time and place of regular BIA and general membership meetings, and shall have the authority to call any special meetings deemed necessary. An Annual General meeting of the BIA shall be held in the fall (October/November). Advance written notification shall be provided to the membership. The meeting shall be a forum for BIA members to discuss the operation of the BIA with Board members and each other, and express any concerns they may have; and for the Board to present its budget and, in an election year, will hold any necessary elections.
- It shall instruct the Secretary to notify the members of any general, special and/or annual meeting and also notify the Economic Development Department of the City of Ottawa. During an election year, included with the notification shall be the names of the Nominations Committee.
- The Board shall issue a newsletter/bulletin to all Westboro BIA and associate members, on a regular basis, to keep members informed of ongoing administrative matters, business issues, special events, etc.
- Committees may be established by the Board from time to time to achieve the BIA purposes and objectives. The Chairman and/or Liaison person of any committee shall be a Board member or the Executive Director. Committee members should be BIA and/or associate members, however, vacant positions on the committee may be filled by other interested community members.
- The Board shall receive committee reports and recommendations and shall submit to the BIA at regular meetings, recommendations which it has approved effecting the administration and/or other activities and policies effecting the BIA.
- The Board shall ensure that proper minutes and records of every meeting of the Board are kept and shall forward copies of such minutes and records to all members of the Board, the Economic Development Department and Finance Department, of the City of Ottawa.
- A quorum of the Board shall be comprised of 5 Directors.
- Where compliance with the applicable disclosure of interest guidelines reduces the number of members to less than quorum: a) any number that is not less than one-third of the total number of members shall be deemed to constitute a quorum, but the number shall not be less than two b) when the remaining number of members is two, the concurrent votes of both are necessary to carry any resolution, by-law or other measure
- Representatives of the Commissioner of Economic Development shall receive notice of, and be entitled to attend all meetings of the Board, committees and general membership, called for the purpose of carrying on the business of the BIA.
- The Board shall adopt and maintain banking arrangements and accounting procedures acceptable to City Council and shall submit such accounting records and such financial statements to Council as it may require.
- All books, documents, transactions, minutes and accounts of the Board shall be open at all times to inspection by the City’s auditor.
- It shall authorize all expenditures and shall not create any indebtedness beyond the income of the BIA nor disburse funds for purposes that do not correspond with the objectives of the BIA.
- The Board shall not exceed any monies not included in the estimates approved by Council (ie. must stay within broad perimeters of the budget.. .expected revenues must also be included in budget when presented to Council for approval).
- The Board shall not borrow money nor, without the prior approval of Council, incur any indebtedness extending beyond the current year.
- The Board shall maintain at all times:
Third party public liability and property damage insurance in such limits as determined from time to time by Council, providing for joint coverage of the Board and the City with a Cross liability Clause;
b) Any other insurance as considered necessary by Council to protect the Board’s assets; and deposit copies of all insurance policies with the City.
- Pursuant to Section 55 of the Municipal Act, all meetings of the Board shall be open to all members of the BIA and the general public.
- If the subject matter relates to the consideration of a request under the the meetings must be closed only for the duration of the matter being considered.
- A meeting or part of a meeting may be closed to the public if the subject matter being considered is:
a) security of the property of the Board
b) personal matters about an identifiable individual, including employees of the Board
c) a proposed or pending acquisition of land for Board purposes
d) labour relations or employee negotiations
e) litigation or potential litigation, including matters before administrative tribunals, affecting the Board
f) the receiving of advice that is subject to solicitor-client privilege, including communications necessary for that purpose a matter in respect of which the Board has authorized a meeting to be closed under another Act
- Before holding a meeting or part of a meeting that is to be closed to the public, the Board shall state by resolution:
a) the fact of the holding of the closed meeting
b) the general nature of the matter to be considered at the closed meeting.
- Further, the Chairman of the Board retains the right to expel any person for improper conduct at a meeting.
- Motions arising at any meeting of the Board shall be decided by a majority of votes, based on the total Board membership with each member having an equal vote. The vote shall be taken by assent or dissent, unless it is requested by any member that it be determined by ballot.
- A meeting shall not be closed during the taking of a vote, unless
a) adherence to Article 8, Secs. 18 and 19, of this document, permits or requires a meeting to be closed to the public
b) the vote is for a procedural matter or for giving directions or instructions to officers, employees or agents of the Board or persons retained by or under contract with the Board.
- All BIA members or their appointees are eligible for election to the Board.
- The members of the Westboro Board shall be elected by the general membership in attendance at the annual meeting, in the year just prior to Municipal Elections. A notice of same shall be circulated to the general membership, not less than 14 calendar days prior to the meeting.
- It is the duty of the Board, prior to the election, to appoint a Nominations Committee of one or more persons. This Committee shall have the responsibility of compiling a list of prospective members of the succeeding Board. Nominations shall be accepted from the floor of the annual meeting. Further, names can be accepted by the nominations Committee up to 7 calendar days prior to the meeting.
- Request a nomination form from the BIA office email: email@example.com
- The electoral meeting shall elect eight (8) directors (the other two (2) being members of City and
Regional Council). The date of the said meeting shall be prior to the municipal election generally held every third year. Elections may be held with a show of hands or by secret ballot.
In the event that no more than eight (8) members are willing to run for office, including serving members, a formal election shall be deemed unnecessary and a list of candidates shall be sent directly to the City.
- All those businesses that fall within the boundaries of the Westboro BIA that are assessed for business purposes, are eligible to cast one vote.
- Should the office of Chairman become vacant before the term of office has expired, the Vice Chairman shall assume the position. Should the Vice Chairman not be able to complete the term, a new Chairman shall be elected by the Board members. Preference for the position will be given to current Board members, then Past Board members, and then the general membership.
BYLAWS / CONSTITUTION
Click here to read the document containing the Westboro Village BIA’s full constitution, bylaws, and procedures.
MEETINGS AND MINUTES
- WVBIA March 26 2020 BOM Minutes – Approved
- WVBIA-Procedure By-law amendment and resolution (March 2020)
- Meeting Minutes February 21 2020
- Meeting Minutes November 21 2019
- Meeting Minutes October 24 2019
- Meeting Minutes – September 26 2019
- Meeting Minutes June 20 2019
- Meeting Minutes May 23 2019
- Board Meeting Minutes April 25 2019
- March 2019 Board Meeting Minutes
- February 2019 Board Meeting Minutes
- 2018 AGM Minutes January 9, 2019 (approval pending – 2019 AGM)
- November 2018 Board Minutes
- October 2018 Board Meeting Minutes
- September 2018 Board Meeting Minutes
- September 2018 Special Meeting Minutes
- June 2018 Board Meeting Minutes
- May 2018 Board Meeting Minutes
- April 2018 Board Meeting Minutes
- March 2018 Board Meeting Minutes
- February 2018 Board Meeting Minutes
- 2017 AGM Minutes- Feb 28,2018
- January 2018 – No Meeting – No Minutes