Bike Maintenance 201
Join one of our bike shop mechanics for this clinic intended to get you up to speed with some intermediate/advanced mechanical skills to keep your bike running smoothly.
The session is a mix of instruction and hands on practice with small class sizes of 6 people
We will provide everything that you need, just bring some paper to write notes on if you wish (you will be given printed handouts at the conclusion of the day), and a packed lunch
Schedule for the day
- 11am Welcome
- Drive train maintenance and care
- Maintenance of your drivetrain and how to trouble shoot malfunctioning components.
- Chain sizing and installation.
- Cassette choice and installation.
- Front and rear derailleur
- Selecting derailleur based on capacity.
- Front: Adjustment of height above chain rings and rotational alignment
- Rear: Hanger alignment and adjustment
- Both: setting limit screws and adjusting indexing.
- 1pm LUNCH BREAK
The mechanic will give an overview or wheel truing and demonstrate how to adjust radial and lateral truness before moving on to cover:
- Brake adjustment
- Discussion and examples to identify brakes according to caliper type and lever pull ratio.
- Brake safety inspections.
- General maintenance.
- Pad selection and installation (height, alignment, rotation – hands on practice).
- NOT covered: disk brakes and hydraulic systems.
4pm Questions / end of clinic